Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm ready for the storm

To be prepared BEFORE a storm hits, I keep an emergency kit in the basement.  It contains, flashlights, batteries, first aid kit, a couple blankets, bottled water, and non-parishable foods.

There are a few things that I do when I hear that a severe storm is approaching.  Sometimes I feel ridiculous, but I know that "if" my house was damaged and I lost my belongings, there are a few items that I would try to save!!

  * FIRST, I herd my kids downstairs and get them situated.  I turn on the TV to watch weather updates.

* I grab the laptop (not b/c I care if I lose it, but b/c our family videos, pictures, finances, other importand documents are on it and if the electric goes out, we can stay updated on weather.  I do keep a back-up of family photos and important documents on CD in a fire-proof safe downstairs. Photos of each room in the house is nice to have in safe keeping, for insurance needs too.

* If time allows, (here's where my goofy part sets in) I will make sure I have my wedding ring, my Mom's ring, my camera, purse, my cell phone, and make sure my dog is tucked away safely with her blanket and bone (usually in my walk-in closet)...she refuses to come down the stairs to the basement, so I guess she would be a goner, BUT then again...by the time I get all the stuff done...I may be a goner too!!!  LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment