Saturday, January 29, 2011

Scared to buy lettuce in bulk?


I am usually scared to buy produce in bulk, because I know it will spoil before it gets used. The romaine lettuce that I buy in bulk at Costco always get used in time because I "double-duty" it!

It only costs $3.87 for 6 heads of romaine heart. I know that's alot of lettuce!! That's amazing, because the price of just one of the little bags of salad mix can be almost that much.

I wash it, then cut "sandwich sized" leaves off the leafy ends to add to all of our lunch sandwiches and roll-ups. I place those leaves in a gallon ziploc with a folded paper towel to keep it fresh, seal it up and put it with the sandwich making stuff. I cut the leftover parts of each head and place in a large bowl with airtight lid for our salads that we have with dinner each night!

I mix up our salads so that we don't get tired of the same thing each night.  Some nights it's Caesar, other nights, I add in spring mix lettuce, or different cheeses, veggies, and dressings to add variety and USE up all that lettuce!!!



For around $4, we have lettuce on our sandwiches and salad for 2-3 weeks !!!


Follow along with us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment